Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Made With Love.

Despite the hot weather we've been having I was determined to finish another crocheted blanket as I had made almost enough squares for it. Crocheting the squares wasn't too bad in the heat but joining them and then crocheting around the edge was very hot work. I finished it yesterday when it was 42C here and I now have a second blanket to donate with the quilts to Impact for a Women, which helps women and children who have experienced domestic violence.
     Did you know that it takes many domestic violence victims as many as 7 to 10 events of leaving before they are strong enough not to return to their abuser. So sad that someone could destroy someone's self confidence that they can't imagine a life without abuse. I'm not judging by any means but it's so sad that so many women and children are exposed to repeated violence and abuse at home. As a community we need to do better.
 OK off my soapbox now, and I hope you can understand why I feel compelled to make quilts and blankets for the needy. If you want to send QAYG blocks I can use any size but I most often use the 10.5 inch or 12.5 inch size. Or if you want to crochet squares or donate bits and pieces of yarn, I make Granny Squares, using size 4.5 crochet hook and yarn which is 8 ply, or combines to make 8 ply. Or if you have time to cut strips of fabric 2.5 inches across width of my fabric to use as binding strips for QAYG blocks. It takes 21 strips for the largest size and 15 for the blocks set 4x6. Every little bit we can do will make life a little brighter and bring some comfort to those who need it.
   I'm working again tonight so back to sleep again now.
Hugs, Jan Mac

2 comments:

Marijke said...

so sad for all those people in domestic violence and to affraid to leave.
as long as we can help them with a quilt or a crocheted blanked we will do that .
wer,e so lucky to have a nice family friends and a house .
hugs Marijke

Jan Mac said...

Yes Marijke, I feel very blessed to have loving family and friends and a home safe from violence. I see some very sad cases at the hospital where women and children suffer abuse from alcohol or drug affected partners. Every little bit we make let's them know someone cares about them. Thank you all for your help and support with these projects.