Friday, May 24, 2013

Fragile State.

No sewing yesterday or today either yet as I'm feeling a bit fragile still. I had a dental check-up yesterday at 8.45am as I'd had an occasional dull ache in my jaw. My dentist found that he needed to do a filling then instead of just a check-up, and he wasn't sure how long the tooth would last as it was in a tricky spot between two teeth. It was painful afterwards but OK and then the local anaesthetic wore off. For the next 6 hours the pain was increasing and my strongest analgesic wasn't helping with the pain spreading to my ear and eye on the affected side, as well as some fever. Finally I rang my dentist and he said to come back in later in the day. He saw me in between patients and said that the tooth would have to come out. Not an easy extraction and after two more local injections and the assistant holding my head to give him some traction, he finally managed to pull it out. He knew it wasn't sufficiently numbed but said he had to continue. Wow I'm pretty stoic when dealing with pain but this was the worst. On the other hand at least the tooth extraction relieved the pain I'd been feeling and now I just have the pain from having 3 injections in the same area of my jaw and the aching face.
Oh and I bled and the assistant had to clean the blood off my face before I left and scared any patients. Haha! My dentist is a lovely guy and must have been worried as he gave me his personal phone number and told me to call him if I needed him overnight. Ice cream helped a bit last night but I can't eat solids yet and still feel fragile.
 What a nuisance, as I had things I wanted to do. So I'm lying down or sitting quietly, tracing more pieces for my china plate blocks for my Mrs William's quilt. I need to make 12 and I have 2 completed and 4 more ready to stitch the halves together. Hopefully I'll feel more like sewing tomorrow when the antibiotics kick in.
 Sorry for the tale of woe and I hope you all have a great weekend as I plan to sew!
Hugs, Jan Mac

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Poor baby. Hugs.

Gina E. said...

Oh Jan, that is terrible. A friend of mine told me last week that her son had braces on his teeth for five years, but the dental hospital decided after all that time the braces weren't enough to straighten the teeth so the bite would meet. So they BROKE HIS JAW and reset it to make the teeth meet!! I couldn't believe anyone would do anything so barbaric in the 21st century...I have some broken teeth at the back of my mouth but I think the nerve must be dead as there is no pain, so I am just going to leave them there.

willywagtail said...

I feel for you. I had a tooth extracted but not fully and had pain for ages. I found arnica and bonjel were good supplements for the pain killers which didn't fully cover the hours in the day. Hope you get better quicker than I did and that your distractions work for you too. Cherrie

Maria said...

How the pain has eased by now Jan! It all sounded horrific...