Thursday, September 15, 2011

Can You Hear the Bells?

I know you don't want to hear it but Christmas will soon be here so it's time to get ready. I think I can hear Jingle Bells being played already even though we don't have snow here. It must be all that snow we saw on the Swiss Alps.
A lady who helps me to distribute goods to the needy in the Melbourne area is asking for 5,000 mini Christmas stockings which will be filled with lollies and given to organizations which work with the homeless and other needy people.
I took the wool and knitting needles with me so I could make them while we traveled but the heat wave in Europe meant that I only managed to finish 8 so I need to work on lots more now that I'm home again. I've also made one from fabric and plan to make more that way as they are quicker than the knitted ones, although those are quick to make too.
I made up a pattern based on the size of the knitted stocking which measures 2.25" by 4.5". I made the fabric stocking larger as it won't stretch and it consists of just two pieces of fabric, one for the front and a reverse one for the back, with a 1/4" seam and 1/4" hem at the top. The fabric one measures 2.5" by 4.5" and I'm sure that either will be welcomed by the needy. I think I may make the next lot of fabric stockings a bit wider so they can hold a few more lollies so maybe another 1/4 to 1/2" in width would be good. To make a pattern I just drew around the knitted stocking and added on more at the sides so it's nothing fancy.
If you have the time and some scraps I could use any you have time to make, especially as I'm also making toys and quilts to be given out as Christmas gifts for the needy. So far this week I've finished 5 QAYG quilts and 4 of them are shown on my other blog with more photos coming soon. Busy times now that I'm home again.
Many thanks for your support.
Hugs, Jan Mac

2 comments:

jacaranda said...

Welcome home Jan. Last week, I posted off a bag of stockings to the lady, 2 balls gave me 35 stockings.

kaiteM said...

hi Jan, do you want to post up that knit stocking pattern please?