Thursday, May 20, 2010

Australasian Quilt Convention 2010

I was very lucky to be able to attend the convention again this year and I had 4 fabulous days of lessons in free motion quilting with Deborah Louie from Sydney. The convention was held in the beautiful building shown here which is the Royal Exhibition building in Melbourne.
Deborah's classes were excellent and she was very generous with her time and knowledge. She does travel interstate to teach and I can highly recommend her classes as she has 18 years of experience and covered all the basics and well as more advanced classes in ways to use stencils to create your own patterns. The floral quilt shown here is Deborah's design and she has machine quilted the designs and then coloured them with fabric pencils. It looks fantastic when you get close enough to see all the detail.
The last photo also shows the winning quilt of the Best of the Best which is a quilt judged to be the best from all the State winners. Marlene King from Tasmania won with her quilt named, Tasmanian Travels. I spent 4 days at the convention and I still had to rush to see all the quilts as I often saw people I know and stopped for a quick chat. I was only home for 2 days before I went to the Bathurst retreat so life has been busy but lots of fun and now I'm enjoying some time at home, back at the sewing machine. I have more quilts finsihed to show tomorrow when I get the photos taken to show you.
Cheers, Jan Mac


No comments: