Saturday, December 5, 2009

Applique Anyone?

This time last week I attended my first meeting of an applique group and remembered why I love applique. I have made 3 Baltimore Album quilts and still don't own one as I have given them away. I have also had 25 blocks made and ready to be finished off into a quilt as well as 2 borders for the same quilt. Actually 3 of the blocks just needed a small amount of stitching to get them finished and I think they have been stalled for 10 or 15 years.
I spend so much time making and donating quilts that I haven't finished off some of my old UFOs. After being in the company of other applique enthusiasts I've been encouraged to finish off a Baltimore quilt for me, but it will probably go to one of my daughters. Here's the blocks waiting to be trimmed and joined and I have decided to make new borders with a vine and rose pattern as I don't like the other borders I was working on. It's also unlikely that I'll be able to find the right fabric to match for the last 2 borders too so it's better to start them again.
I'm still working with donation quilts and have some more photos to show soon. I also met two lovely ladies from Colleambly with donations for the bush fire areas as well as receiving more boxes of quilts and sewing kits from Wauchope quilters as well as from Tasmania. I'm planning to do some hand sewing though now that the weather is so much warmer and I'll enjoy spending time on stitching the vines on my Baltmiore borders.
Hope you're all going to have some time for you during the festive season.
Hugs Jan Mac

1 comment:

Amy said...

**Gasp**
I am ALWAYS overly impressed with I see 'Baltimore' quilts! I am not much of an applique-r, but sure wish I had the patience after seeing such BEAUTIFUL blocks like yours.

Can't wait to watch the final progress to a finished quilt!!!